It does not matter if you own a house or an apartment, because summers can be problematic unless you have proper air conditioning unit. However, it is challenging to determine whether you should replace or fix the AC system, you currently have.
It is essential to understand that nothing will last forever, which means that after a while, your AC system will break down. The worst thing that could happen is the faulty AC unit during the hot summer days when you need it.
Therefore, you should understand the signs of a broken AC that will help you determine whether you should replace or repair it.
When Should You Replace Your AC Unit?
In general, AC units tend to last up to fifteen years, which is something most homeowners tend to neglect. Of course, HVAC systems can last a bit longer, which is up to twenty years approximately, especially if adequately maintaining them throughout the lifetime.
We are talking about cleaning air ducts and system filters at least once a year. The signs that you should replace an AC unit depending on whether your system is working efficiently. At the same time, you should have in mind that it depends on general efficiency.
Another important consideration is that you need to maintain the AC unit properly and store it based on the instructions during the cold weather. Remember that if you store an AC unit is less trafficked, dry, and cool location will give you a chance to protect and keep it along the way.
It is vital to repair the AC unit by finding a technician who has prior expertise and experience. You should check out the signs that will help you determine whether you should replace your unit or not.
Common Signs Of Faulty AC Unit
- Not Getting Cold Air – This is the visible sign that something is wrong with your AC unit, especially if it does not pump the fresh air when you place the right setting. It can happen due to a defective compressor, low Freon levels, and numerous issues that could be problematic and lead to replacement. That is the main reason why you should find professional help to determine the cause of an issue. However, if the repair is too extensive, it is much better to get a new one instead.
- Lousy Airflow – Even if the cooling works, if the airflow is not pushing the air the same way as before, it means that something is wrong with it. Of course, it could mean numerous things, including blocked or damaged vents and faulty compressors. You should find an expert that will analyze the problem and tell you whether the repair will be useful in the long run. If the expenses get too high based on the consultation and analysis, it is much better to find a new one that will stand the test of time.
- Leakage and Moisture Around AC Unit – Even though condensation can be a regular thing, especially if you forget to close the window while turning on the cooling, excessive leaking is the indicator that your AC unit features a severe problem. In most cases, you may have issues with large pools of water around it due to refrigerant leak, which is why you need to do something about it as soon as possible. Remember that leaking coolant can cause severe health issues to your family, while the leaking can cause damage to both furniture and floors, which is a perfect setting for mold infestation. If you notice these signs, you should call an expert as soon as possible.
- Unusual Sounds – If you hear a loud noise that sounds like grinding from the air conditioning unit, it means that something is wrong with it. At the same time, banging, rattling, and squealing is everyday noises that you will notice when the problem is happening. That is the main reason why you should turn off the system and call a professional to check it out. The noises are indicators of severe issues, including broken motor bearings and belt slipping out, among other things. Remember that these repairs can be too expensive, which is why you should replace it instead of prolonging its life.
- Thermostat Is Not Working – In some situations, the problem with your AC unit does not have to be connected with the main cooling unit, but the thermostat. A faulty thermostat can cause severe problems to your cooling areas, especially if some zones are not included. If some rooms are cold while others are hot, it means that you should find professional help to check the thermostat for potential problems. In the best-case scenario, experts will replace a thermostat instead of the entire system, which is a costly project.
You should check here to learn more about AC units in general.
- You Are Using It More Than 15 Years – We have mentioned above that generally, AC units tend to last up to 15 years with proper and regular maintenance. In case your system is older than that, it means that you got your return on investment. You can find new, more energy-efficient models, which will help you save money for energy bills. At the same time, if the old system breaks down, do not try to repair it, but start saving money for the new one.
- Frequent Repairs – Finally, if you are experiencing frequent problems and spending more money than you wanted on repairs, it means that you should do something about it. Sometimes it is much more affordable to replace it and avoid problems for the next five years. At the same time, new models come with warranty deals, which will help you reduce the expenses after the initial investment.