As early as the 1800s, asbestos was used in construction, manufacturing, and other industries. In the mid 20th century its hazards were discovered, and its use was greatly curtailed. However, ask any asbestos abatement contractor in Calgary, and you will discover that this substance is still in use today. Many overseas countries still use it in manufacturing products that are then imported into Canada and the United States. This includes some automotive products and other components in manufacturing.
In addition, there are still many older buildings that have asbestos as insulation in attics and were used in floor tiles. Some laboratory equipment and pipes have asbestos even today. Exposure can occur when repairing and replacing some of these common elements.
- Floor, ceiling, and roofing tiles
- Cement had the addition of asbestos to provide strength without weight
- Various materials that needed fireproofing
As a business owner, renovations can uncover some of these areas and products that contain asbestos. While you may think it is a small task, in reality, asbestos abatement is a job only for professionals. It requires protective outerwear and face protection as well as breathing gear. There are specific techniques for handling the various products that contain asbestos as well as asbestos itself. Disposal is under strict regulations.
A professional asbestos abatement company will take the following steps:
- Assess the products or areas that contain asbestos.
- Plan the overall project.
- Prepare the area with plastic seals to prevent contamination of the surrounding areas.
- Post appropriate warnings.
- Assure that all workers use personal safety clothing and equipment.
- Use all safety precautions to prevent the spread of asbestos fibers.
- Thoroughly clean the area before leaving the project.
- Prepare the material for transport in safe containers.
- Dispose of asbestos in designated landfills.
- Create and maintain decontamination areas.
- Assured that all clothing and equipment is decontaminated prior to leaving the area.
If you own a commercial building or are responsible for its maintenance, you have a responsibility to maintain an inventory of any areas or items that may contain asbestos. If the tenant begins remodeling or renovation, it is necessary to contact an asbestos abatement company for an assessment since disturbing any areas that contain asbestos could pose a health hazard. This includes:
- Insulation around water pipes and tanks
- Roofing shingles or siding
- Floor tiles
- Sanding plaster
- Scraping older surfaces
- Car parts
If you have any concerns about the possibility of asbestos materials in your business, contact an asbestos removal company in Calgary. We will be happy to arrange an appointment to assess the structure and determine the extent, if any, of asbestos in the building materials or construction. We are also able to provide qualified asbestos-abatement services, including removal and disposal, according to all local and federal standards. We have performed these services in the Calgary area for many years and have the workforce and equipment to perform the task efficiently and effectively.